In addition to our free book aptly titled, America, we have culled sources from around the web to help you prepare for a class on American Holidays or be able send the links to fellow students or congregants.
Free Olami Resources Book
- American Society Principles and Core Values; Society and Lifestyle; Personality and Growth.
- FDR and the Jews, by Marc Fisher
Demographics & Surveys of Jews in America
- Survey of Reform and Conservative Synagogues in US
The recently released Conservative & Reform Congregations in the United States: The FACT-Synagogue 3000 Survey, is now available online.
- Most and Least Jewish States in the US
Interesting breakdown of where Jews are living throughout the United States.
- The Demographics of New York City’s Jewish Population
This New York Times article is about the most recent demographic survey of New York’s Jewish population.
- Study on Teens at Risk and Baalei Teshuva
Yeshiva University’s Azrieli Graduate School of Jewish Education in partnership with the Association for Jewish Outreach Programs (AJOP) conducted a groundbreaking study comparing adolescents who grew up in families who are newly observant, to adolescents born into families whose parents have been observant from birth.
- Public Religion Research Institute Jewish Values Survey of American Jews
This link displays results from the Public Religion Research Institute Jewish Values Survey. It highlights that American Jews are very liberal politically, not very religious, and when it comes to theology, the largest number believe in impersonal deity.
American Jewish History
- Haven to Home
Varied sources and a presentation of American Jewish History from 1654 to 2004. Navigation both in interactive Flash and in HTML.
This site houses a slew of information from the American Jewish Historical Society, the American Sephardi, the Leo Baeck Institute, Yeshiva University Museum, and the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research.
- Rabbi Lawrence Kelemen The Real Story of Christmas
- Rabbi Mordechai Willig Is it the Season to be Jolly?, for mare mekomos click here.
- Rabbi Dr. Asher Wade A Christian Pastor Converts to Judaism
- Mrs. Penina Taylor A Jewish woman who embraced Christianity discovers her true roots
- Rabbi Michael Taubes Learning on Nittel Nacht, for mare mekomos click here.
- Rabbi Ari Kahn Nittel Eve
- 25 Things for Jews to do on December 25th, by by Marnie Winston-Macauley
- Is Christmas Good For the Jews?, by Rabbi Benjamin Blech
- The History of Christmas, by Rabbi Lawrence Kelemen
- Why Jews Don’t Believe In Jesus, by Rabbi Shraga Simmons
- The Christmas Tree, by Rabbi Jonathan Rosenblum
- Christmas in Brooklyn, by Rebbetzin Tziporah Heller
- A Jewish Child on Christmas, by Sarah Shapiro
- Learning on Nittel Nacht, by Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz
- Jews for Judaism – Resources and critiques of the missionary attempts to convert Jews to Christianity
- Penina Taylor – Jewish woman who had embraced Christianity discovers her true roots.
New Year’s Resources
- Rabbi Daniel Hartstein Following in the Ways of the Non-Jews (Chukas Hagoyim)
- D-Day in Jewish Thought by Rabbi Akiva Males.
- Coming face-to-face with remarkable heroism by Tova Hinda Siegel.
- The Prayer for the Welfare of the Government & July 4th by YUTorah.org.
- Happiness 101 on the Fourth of July by Rabbi Yisroel Rutman.
- Passover vs. July Fourth by Rabbi Dov Ber Weisman.
- July Fourth Insights by Rabbi Gil Student.
- A Responsum on Celebrating July 4th (in hebrew), by Rabbi Shimshon Nadel
- Is Thanksgiving Kosher? Applying Jewish law to Turkey Day by Rabbi Michael Broyde.
- Thanksgiving: A Jewish Perspective by Naftali Silberberg.
- Is Turkey Kosher? by Rabbi Dr. Ari Zivotofsk.
- Four Aspects of Thanksgiving by Rabbi Zev Leff.
- Thanksgiving Kiddush Hashem Programming
- Gobble Gobble by Max Anteb
- An American Yom Tov by Dennis Prager
- Kosher recipes for Thanksgiving by Penina Jacobs
- Celebrating Thanksgiving Can Save America, by Rabbi Gil Student
- Thanksgiving Celebrations In Jewish Law by Rabbi Leonard Matanky.
- Giving Thanks: What Thanksgiving Teaches Us about Chanuka by Rabbi Mordechai Willig
- Is Thanksgiving Kosher? by Rabbi Mark Wildes
- Ten Minute Halacha – Thanksgiving Celebrations by Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz
- Turkeyday? By Rabbi Aaron Feigenbaum