The Three Weeks
FREE NLE Morasha Syllabus Classes
- The Three Weeks and Tishah B’Av I: Exile & Destruction
- The Three Weeks and Tishah B’Av II: Why the Temple was Destroyed & How to Rebuild It
- Mourning the Destruction – from Torah.org
- Halacha and Jewish Thought on the Three Weeks – from the Virtual Beit Midrash
- A Chronology of Destruction – from the OU
- Mourning for Jerusalem – from Yeshiva University
- Halachas and Sources – from Halachapedia
- The Three Weeks – from Breslev.co.il
- The Three Weeks in 10 Minutes – Timely Torah – Click here for the 5775 version
- 9 Days Resources – By Rabbi Naphtali Hoff
- Mourning for Our Ancient-perfection, based on the teachings of Rabbi Avigdor Miller zt”l.
- Napoleon and Tisha Be’av Myth, Napoleon is the star of one of the most famous Tisha Be’av stories.
- 3 Weeks 10 Minutes: An Outline of Laws – from Rabbi Yochanan Schnall.
A summary of the laws in a clear and simple presentation.
- Halachically Speaking on the Three Weeks – includes extensive footnotes and sources.
The halachas and their reasons.
- The Three Weeks – from Partners in Torah
The customs of the Three Weeks are designed to remind us of areas in which we have traditionally been spiritually weak and the steps we must take to remedy our shortcomings.
- The Three Weeks and Tisha B’Av – from Boca Raton Synagogue
An all inclusive booklet that includes laws, prayers and the history of the Three Weeks and Tisha B’Av.
- 22 Days from 17th Tammuz till 9th of Ab – from Midrash.org
Sephardic halachot taken from the writings of Hakham Ya’aqob Menashe.
- Car Purchasing During the Three Weeks – by Rabbi Yair Hoffman for 5TJT.com
How is a Chevy Camaro LT2 Coupe different from a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna during the three weeks.
- Mourning is a Sense of Celebration – by Elly Storch
Sources on one who mourns over Jerusalem will merit and see its happiness again.
- It Is Permissible to Shower During The Nine Days – by Rabbi Moshe Soloveitchik
- Interesting psak about listening to music during the three weeks
- Working on Tisha B’Av – by Halachically Speaking
- Tunneling to Yerushalayim by Rav Moshe Weinberger and adapted by Binyomin Wolf
Photos & Graphics
- A Summary of the Laws of the Three Weeks – from B’not Torah Institute
The halachas of the three weeks presented in a easy to use chart explaining what is permitted and forbidden during each stage of the three weeks.
- What is Permitted and What is Forbidden during the Three Weeks
A halacha chart featuring the opinions of the Shulchan Aruch, the Rema and the Ben Ish Chai.
- Fast Days, the Three Weeks – from Torah Tots
Simplified halachas of the three weeks for children.
- A Story From the Times of the Beis HaMikdash – from Ohr Somayach
A story for children to help them picture what
- Al Naharoth Babel – Al Naharoth Babel as recited by the Hakaham, Rabbi Ya’aqob Menashe, on Tish’ah BeAb.
- Spiritual Growth for Women During the Three Weeks – by Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi
Recipes for the Nine Days
- Allergy Free Recipes for the Nine Days – from Chabad.com
- Meatless Mondays – from Aish.com
- Recipe Roundup for the Nine Days – from ClassicallyKosher.com
- Nine Days Pareve and Dairy Ideas – from CookKosher.com
- Nine Menus for the Nine Days – from CulinaryKosher.com
- Spiced Up Meatless Recipes – from JoyOfKosher.com
The Children Are Ready- from The Temple Institute
The Basics of Tisha B’Av – A video podcast of “Rabbi Dan’s Kohn Academy of Judaic Studies”
Mourning Period from 17 Tammuz to 9 Av – a short and piece outlining the basics of the three weeks
Bein HaMeitsarim The Three Weeks of Challenges – from Shaul Youdkevitch
In Narrow Places: Daily Inspiration for the Three Weeks – from the OU
Inspiration in your Inbox: The Three Weeks – from Rabbi Reuven Brand
Bein Adam L’Chaveiro Videos
During the 3 Weeks we should all work on our Bein Adam L’Chaveiro to help rebuild the Beis HaMikdash, here you’ll find 2 excellent videos from aish.com on the topic of Bein Adam L’Chaveiro:
- A Teachers Guide to 17 Tamuz – from Torah Lab
- Source Sheets for 17 Tamuz – from Torah Lab
- Chinuch Sources on 17 Tamuz – from Chinuch.org
- Lectures for 17 Tamuz – from Torah Online
- Study Texts for 17 Tamuz – from Bnai Torah, Olympia
- The 17th of Tamuz – from Jewish Virtual Library
As taught in Rabbi Eliyahu Kitov’s Book of Our Heritage, the purpose 17th of Tammuz, like the other fast days “to awaken hearts towards repentance through recalling our forefathers’ misdeeds; misdeeds which led to calamities…”
- The Fast of 17 Tamuz – from NJOP
Why and How to Fast on the 17th of Tammuz
- Days of Destiny – from Sichos in English
A fast is not just a commemoration or remembrance of a particular event; it is primarily a means whereby the tragic event is eliminated. Evil befalls Jews only because they have sinned. A fast serves as an inspiration and reminder for repentance, to come closer to G-d.
- The Chasam Sofer: 17 Tammuz? The Confusion Behind The Exact Date – from Matzav.com
Questions and answers on the dates of the destruction.
- The Tenth of Av – by Rabbi Ari Enkin
Contrary to popular misconception, the Three Weeks of mourning do not end with the conclusion of Tisha B’av. In many ways They actually extend into the 10th Av.
- Tips for an Easier Fast, by Mrs. Yael Ellis
- 17 Tamuz: What There is. What There Can Be… – from A Dwelling Space Below
It may seem like we mourn this destruction for just three weeks of every year, but those that know what the real loss is mourn it every single day… every moment.
Photos & Graphics
- 17 Tamuz – from Torah Tots
Explanation of the occurrences and observances of the day for children.
What is the Fast of the 17th of Tamuz – from the United Synagogue
Weekly Mitzvah 17 Tamuz – from Kehilat Masada
The Fast of 17 Tamuz – from Jewish Treats
Fast of 17 Tamuz-A Three Weeks Perspective – from Rabbi Yosef Tropper
Halachot 17 Tamuz – from Yeshivat HaKotel
Laws of the 17th of Tamuz – from Web Yeshiva
The 17th of Tammuz Blues – from Life in Israel
- Resources for davening on Tisha B’Av – from Machon Hadar
- Translated Kinos, Sheet 1 – from Beurei HaTefila.com
- Translated Kinos, Sheet 2 – from Beurei HaTefila.com
- Topical Index to the Talmid, Tisha B’Av – from WebShas
- Tisha B’Av To-Go, by YUTorah Online
- Handout from Rabbi Dr. Tzvi Hirsch Weinreb’s Kinnos at The OU Israel Center
- Shabbat Hazon Shiur – Based on an article by Rav Ari Kahn “Feeling Small”
- Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner’s handout for “Permission to Mourn and Celebrate” shiur
- Tisha B’Av: A Summary of Timely Laws In a Clear and Simple Style – by Rabbi Yochanan Schnall
A quick review of some pertinent laws relevant to this time of year
- Maharal on Tisha B’Av – from Torah.org
How to really understand the sinas chinam that destroyed the Beis HaMikdash.
- Tisha B’Av, Reasons for Fasting – by Rabbi Yehudah Prero
Examining the events that caused the destruction through the Gemora and its commentaries.
- Tears of Pain, Tears of Hope – by Mrs. Golda Warhaftig
Tears as a theme in Eicha and as a tool for our redemption.
- Mourning Through Bitul Torah – by Rabbi Ron-Ami Meir
How the loss of our personal learning opens us up to ourloss of the Beis HaMikdash.
- Tisha B’Av at a Glance – from the Young Israel of Clifton-Passaic
Summaries of the laws and observances of Tisha B’Av including a categorization of kinos.
- Black and White of Tisha B’Av and Yom Kippur – from Short Vort by Binyamin Rose
A comparison between the two fasts.
- Teaching Children About the Churban – by Rabbi Dovid Orlofosky
One needs to personalize the churban if the event is to have meaning for ourselves and our families.
- A Tisha B’Av Message – from Rabbi Shmuel Brazil
The connection between our posessions and Tisha B’Av.
- Destruction of the Temple – the history of the destruction fo the Second Bais HaMikdash from Simple to Remember
The history from Vespatian being crowned Cesar through the destruction of Betar and beyond.
- The Destruction of the First Temple – from JewishHistory.org
The story behind the history of the destruction of the first Beis HaMikdash.
- How Tisha B’Av Helped me Heal – from TabletMag.com
Cancer, and a year of chemotherapy, gave me a new perspective on Jewish holidays—starting with Tisha B’Av
- Tisha B’Av Night 5770 – by Rabbi Wienberger
Jews always mikabel yom tov or shabbos with anticipation. How do we mikabel tisha bav?
- Tisha B’Av on a Kuwait Military Base Gives a Chaplain a Lesson in Unity – from Tablet Magazine
The holiday never resonated for me, until I understood its message about connecting with other Jews—even Messianic ones.
- Drinking Water on Tisha B’Av – by Rabbi Asher Bush
The standard for permitting eating on Yom Kippur is possible danger; the standard for permitting eating on Tisha B’Av is Tzaar Gadol (great distress), that may be part of other sicknesses (e.g. migraine, flu, etc.) or in some cases caused by the fasting itself.
- Havdala With Wine During The Nine Days – by Rav Asher Bush
- Tisha B’Av: The Incredible BBC Movie – from JewishMom.com, the entire movie is embedded on the page.
Watching this movie was the first time in all these years that the author actually cried over the destruction of the Beit haMikdash. She warns that sensitive people might want to fast forward over the violence in the movie.
- Remembrances of Tisha B’Av Past – from Cross-Currents
Tisha B’Av in Gateshead, a source of memories and inspiration.
- Western Wall in Jewish Literature – from TorahMusings.com
The kina of Rabbi Elazar HaKalir is one of the earliest documents in which the Western Wall is mentioned.
- Tisha B’Av Infographic – by NCSY
- Catching 5-part video series on how we should work to remove baseless hatred – from Aleph Beta Academy
- Tisha B’Av: Jewish Survival – from Aleph Beta Academy
How can we mourn something that we cannot see or feel? How did we, as a nation, survive the destruction of our land and community?
- Tisha B’Av Reading Package
Includes: (1) Primer (2) Gittin English (3) Gittin Original (4) Josephus V: Siege (5) Josephus VI: Famine & Conquest (6) Josephus VII: Destruction & Exile.
- Photos of Tisha B’Av at the Kosel – from Erin’s Adventures in Israel
- Tisha B’Av – from Torah Tots
- Tisha B’Av Audio & Kinot -Listen to Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik zt”l expound on The Three Weeks, Tisha B’Av and Kinos.
- Teaching Our Children About the Churban – by Rebbitzen Tziporah Heller
- Tisha_b’Av: Permission to Mourn and to Celebrate – Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner
Start Building This Tisha B’Av – by Rabbi Yosef Solomon
Rav Zev Leff Tisha B’Av Night, 5771 – the Rav’s address before Kinos
Tisha B’Av – a slideshow of pictures to add meaning to Tisha B’Av
The Crash Course on Tisha B’Av – Rabbi Avraham Goldhar explains the Jewish holiday of Tisha B’Av
Tisha B’Av- Rabbi Berel Wein teaches about Tisha B’Av
Tisha B’Av the Root of Destruction – Charlie Harary on Tisha B’Av
Tisha B’Av: Reigniting Our Connection To Yerushalayim 2013
Please note: The views expressed in the articles, links, videos, etc. reflect the views of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the thinking of NLE Resources.