The Three Weeks
FREE NLE Morasha Syllabus Classes
- The Three Weeks and Tishah B’Av I: Exile & Destruction
- The Three Weeks and Tishah B’Av II: Why the Temple was Destroyed & How to Rebuild It
- The Three Weeks and Tisha B’Av – from Torah Anytime
- The Three Weeks and Tisha B’Av – from Torah Downloads
- The Three Weeks and Tisha B’Av – from Aish.com
- The Three Weeks and Tisha B’Av – from Ohr.edu
- Mourning the Destruction – from Torah.org
- The Meaning of the Three Weeks – from Virtual Beis Medresh
- The Three Weeks, Seventeenth of Tamuz and Tisha B’Av – from the OU
- The Three Weeks – from Yutorah.org
- Halachas and Sources – from Halachapedia
- The Three Weeks – from Breslev.co.il
- Remember the Past, But Don’t Be Held Captive by It by Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks
- The Preacher who Taught Me How to Mourn for the Temple by Judy Waldman
- Mourning for Our Ancient-perfection, based on the teachings of Rabbi Avigdor Miller zt”l.
- 3 Weeks 10 Minutes: An Outline of Laws – from Rabbi Yochanan Schnall.
A summary of the laws in a clear and simple presentation.
- Halachically Speaking on the Three Weeks – includes extensive footnotes and sources.
The halachas and their reasons.
- 22 Days from 17th Tammuz till 9th of Ab – from Midrash.org
Sephardic halachot taken from the writings of Hakham Ya’aqob Menashe.
- Car Purchasing During the Three Weeks – by Rabbi Yair Hoffman for 5TJT.com
How is a Chevy Camaro LT2 Coupe different from a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna during the three weeks.
- Mourning is a Sense of Celebration – by Elly Storch
Sources on one who mourns over Jerusalem will merit and see its happiness again.
- It Is Permissible to Shower During The Nine Days – Rabbi Ari Kahn
- Working on Tisha B’Av – by Halachically Speaking
Photos & Graphics
- What is Permitted and What is Forbidden during the Three Weeks
A halacha chart featuring the opinions of the Shulchan Aruch, the Rema and the Ben Ish Chai.
- Fast Days, the Three Weeks – from Torah Tots
Simplified halachas of the three weeks for children.
- A Story From the Times of the Beis HaMikdash – from Ohr Somayach
A story for children to help them picture what
Why We Still Mourn the Destruction of the Temple by Rabbi Tzvi Sytner
5 Reasons Why the Western Wall is Holy by Rabbi Shraga Simmons
The 3 Weeks: The Power of Speech by Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz
Joy in the 3 Weeks by Rabbi Eytan Feiner
3 Weeks Series: Realize What We Can Achieve by Rabbi Yaakov Moskowitz
Essential Thoughts Upon Entering the Three Weeks by Rabbi Eytan Feiner
Finding Meaning in the 3 Weeks by Rabbi Eytan Feiner
The Children Are Ready- from The Temple Institute
The Basics of Tisha B’Av – A video podcast of “Rabbi Dan’s Kohn Academy of Judaic Studies”
Mourning Period from 17 Tammuz to 9 Av – a short and piece outlining the basics of the three weeks
Bein HaMeitsarim The Three Weeks of Challenges – from Shaul Youdkevitch
In Narrow Places: Daily Inspiration for the Three Weeks – from the OU
Inspiration in your Inbox: The Three Weeks – from Rabbi Reuven Brand
Bein Adam L’Chaveiro Videos
During the 3 Weeks we should all work on our Bein Adam L’Chaveiro to help rebuild the Beis HaMikdash, here you’ll find 2 excellent videos from aish.com on the topic of Bein Adam L’Chaveiro:
- A Teachers Guide to 17 Tamuz – from Torah Lab
- Source Sheets for 17 Tamuz – from Torah Lab
- Chinuch Sources on 17 Tamuz – from Chinuch.org
- 17th of Tammuz: Why We Fast – Part 1 by Rabbi Yehudah Prero
- 17th of Tammuz: Why We Fast – Part 2 by Rabbi Yehudah Prero
- 17th of Tammuz by Rabbi Shraga Simmons
- The 17th of Tamuz – from Jewish Virtual Library
As taught in Rabbi Eliyahu Kitov’s Book of Our Heritage, the purpose 17th of Tammuz, like the other fast days “to awaken hearts towards repentance through recalling our forefathers’ misdeeds; misdeeds which led to calamities…”
- The Fast of 17 Tamuz – from NJOP
Why and How to Fast on the 17th of Tammuz
- Days of Destiny – from Sichos in English.
- The Chasam Sofer: 17 Tammuz? The Confusion Behind The Exact Date – from Matzav.com
Questions and answers on the dates of the destruction.
- The Tenth of Av – by Rabbi Ari Enkin
Contrary to popular misconception, the Three Weeks of mourning do not end with the conclusion of Tisha B’av. In many ways They actually extend into the 10th Av.
- Tips for an Easier Fast, by Mrs. Yael Ellis
- 17 Tamuz: What There is. What There Can Be… – from A Dwelling Space Below
It may seem like we mourn this destruction for just three weeks of every year, but those that know what the real loss is mourn it every single day… every moment.
- 17 Tamuz – from Torah Tots
Explanation of the occurrences and observances of the day for children.
The Burning of the Torah by Rabbi Yaakov Asher Sinclair
Why We Fast on the 17th of Tammuz by Aish.com
What is the Fast of the 17th of Tamuz – from the United Synagogue
Weekly Mitzvah 17 Tamuz – from Kehilat Masada
The Fast of 17 Tamuz – from Jewish Treats
Fast of 17 Tamuz-A Three Weeks Perspective – from Rabbi Yosef Tropper
Laws of the 17th of Tamuz – from Web Yeshiva
The 17th of Tammuz Blues – from Life in Israel
- What Is Tisha B’Av? 101 Guide by Aleph Beta. Videos and essays to understand Tisha B’Av.
- Megillat Eicha Study Guide by Rabbi David Fohrman
- Beit Hamikdash: Hashem’s Holy House – NCSY text-based learning session.
- For What are We Crying? Connecting the Disconnect on Tisha B’Av – NCSY text-based learning session.
- Tisha B’Av Guide: History’s Mastermind – NCSY text-based learning session.
- Praying for the Impossible – NCSY text-based learning session.
- TJJ Tisha B’Av Guide – NCSY guide providing resources, articles, videos, activities, and Jewish law as an advisor’s guide for Tisha B’Av education.
- Translated Kinos, Sheet 1 – from Beurei HaTefila.com
- Translated Kinos, Sheet 2 – from Beurei HaTefila.com
- Topical Index to the Talmud, Tisha B’Av – from WebShas
- Tisha B’Av To-Go, by YUTorah Online
- Handout from Rabbi Dr. Tzvi Hirsch Weinreb’s Kinnos at The OU Israel Center
- Shabbat Hazon Shiur – Based on an article by Rav Ari Kahn “Feeling Small”
- Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner’s handout for “Permission to Mourn and Celebrate” shiur
- 9 Days Resources – By Rabbi Naphtali Hoff
- Tisha B’Av by Rabbi Shaya Karlinsky
- Fallen Glory – The Message of Tisha B’Av by Rabbi Daniel Travis
- The Relevance of Tisha B’Av by Rabbi Berel Wein
- Why I Like Tisha B’Av by Rabbi Emanuel Feldman
- Tisha B’Av as a Holiday by Rabbi Yitzchok Adlerstein (Based on Nesivos Shalom)
- Tisha B Av: Turning Mourning into Action by Rabbi Efrem Goldberg
- Kinot on Tisha B’Av by Aleph Beta
- Prisoners of Hope: Why We Mourn on Tisha B’Av by Miriam Kosman
- Finding the Joy of Tisha B’Av by Rabbi Yisroel Gelber
- Tisha B’Av: A Summary of Timely Laws In a Clear and Simple Style – by Rabbi Yochanan Schnall
A quick review of some pertinent laws relevant to this time of year
- Tisha B’Av, Reasons for Fasting Part 1 – by Rabbi Yehudah Prero
Examining the events that caused the destruction through the Gemora and its commentaries.
- Tisha B’Av, Reasons for Fasting Part 2 – by Rabbi Yehudah Prero
- Mourning Through Bitul Torah – by Rabbi Ron-Ami Meir
How the loss of our personal learning opens us up to ourloss of the Beis HaMikdash.
- A Tisha B’Av Message – from Rabbi Shmuel Brazil
The connection between our posessions and Tisha B’Av.
- Destruction of the Temple – The history of the destruction of the Second Bais HaMikdash from Simple to Remember.
- The Destruction of the First Temple – from JewishHistory.org
The story behind the history of the destruction of the first Beis HaMikdash.
- How Tisha B’Av Helped me Heal – from TabletMag.com
Cancer, and a year of chemotherapy, gave me a new perspective on Jewish holidays—starting with Tisha B’Av
- Tisha B’Av Night 5770 – by Rabbi Weinberger
Jews always mikabel Yom Tov or Shabbos with anticipation. How do we mikabel Tisha B’Av?
- Drinking Water on Tisha B’Av – by Rabbi Asher Bush
The standard for permitting eating on Yom Kippur is possible danger; the standard for permitting eating on Tisha B’Av is Tzaar Gadol (great distress), that may be part of other sicknesses (e.g. migraine, flu, etc.) or in some cases caused by the fasting itself.
- Havdala With Wine During The Nine Days – by Rav Asher Bush
- Remembrances of Tisha B’Av Past – from Cross-Currents
Tisha B’Av in Gateshead, a source of memories and inspiration.
- Western Wall in Jewish Literature – from TorahMusings.com
The kina of Rabbi Elazar HaKalir is one of the earliest documents in which the Western Wall is mentioned.
- Tisha B’Av Infographic – by NCSY
- Catching 5-part video series on how we should work to remove baseless hatred – from Aleph Beta Academy
- Tisha B’Av: Jewish Survival – from Aleph Beta Academy
How can we mourn something that we cannot see or feel? How did we, as a nation, survive the destruction of our land and community?
- Tisha B’Av Reading Package
Includes: (1) Primer (2) Gittin English (3) Gittin Original (4) Josephus V: Siege (5) Josephus VI: Famine & Conquest (6) Josephus VII: Destruction & Exile.
- Tisha B’Av – from Torah Tots
- Rabbi Yitzchak Berkovits on Tisha B’Av
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz Series Explaining Kinnos
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz Series Explaining Kinnos and Tisha B’Av
- Nesivos Shalom – Three Weeks: Building Through Yearning by Rabbi Robby Charnoff
- Kamtza & Bar Kamtza: The Mussar of Churban by Rabbi Tanchum Cohen
- Tisha B’Av: The Power of Rachel’s Tears by Rabbi David Fohrman
- Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb Series on Tisha B’Av
- Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky Series on Tisha B’Av and Kinnos
- Shiurim on Tisha B’Av and Three Weeks from Rav Moshe Shapira zt”l – (Hebrew) Lehavin.org
- Rabbi Akiva Tatz Series on Tisha B’Av
- Rabbi Zecharia Wallerstein zt”l Series on Tisha B’Av
- Teaching Our Children About the Churban – by Rebbitzen Tziporah Heller
- Tisha B’Av: Permission to Mourn and to Celebrate – Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner
- Explanation of Kinnot on Torah Anytime
- Tisha B’Av Programs on Torah Anytime
- Tisha B’Av Events on Torah Anytime
- Hating Israel: Understanding Tisha B’Av through Today’s Headlines by Eitiel Goldwicht
- Tisha B’Av: Is This Ancient Tragedy Still Meaningful? by Rabbi David Fohrman
- Tisha B’Av Advance Video Learning from Torah Channel
Start Building This Tisha B’Av – by Rabbi Yosef Solomon
Rav Zev Leff Tisha B’Av Night, 5771 – the Rav’s address before Kinos
Tisha B’Av – a slideshow of pictures to add meaning to Tisha B’Av
The Crash Course on Tisha B’Av – Rabbi Avraham Goldhar explains the Jewish holiday of Tisha B’Av
Tisha B’Av- Rabbi Berel Wein teaches about Tisha B’Av
Tisha B’Av the Root of Destruction – Charlie Harary on Tisha B’Av
Tisha B’Av: Reigniting Our Connection To Yerushalayim 2013
Recipes for the Nine Days
- Spiced Up Meatless Recipes – from Jamie Geller
- Allergy Free Recipes for the Nine Days – from Chabad.com
- Meatless Mondays – from Aish.com
- Recipe Roundup for the Nine Days – from ClassicallyKosher.com
Please note: The views expressed in the articles, links, videos, etc. reflect the views of their authors and do not necessarily reflect the thinking of NLE Resources.