Understanding the Power of the Shofar’s Blasts
Olami rabbis seeking a new compelling way to engage their students this Rosh Hashanah can turn to Derech B’Yam HaTalmud’s new eBook. This class offers a guided approach to learning the description of the Shofar in Mesechtas Rosh Hashanah 16a-16b.
The 12-page eBook presents a summary and elucidation of the Gemara in Rosh Hashanah discussing the mitzvah of blowing the Shofar and the type of Shofar to be used. It explains the Gemara through the eyes of the commentaries, and presents valuable ideas of how to internalize the messages to strengthen our prayers. It’s ideal to learn with students or on one’s own.
Topics covered include:
- How does the blowing of the Shofar confuse the Satan? How are we able to fool him anew each year?
- Why is it ideal for the Shofar to come from a ram? Is this only a reminder of the Akeidah since it occurred on Rosh Hashanah, or is there an additional lesson we can learn from it?
- Why should the shofar be curved?
- Is it more important for the shofar to be curved or to come from a ram? What can we learn from the answer to this question to enhance our Tefillah on Rosh Hashanah?
- Why is there no problem of Baal Tosif since the Shofar is blown multiple times on Rosh Hashanah?
These topics and more are covered in the eBook.
Rabbi Michoel Gros is the co-author of the Derech B’Yam HaTalmud series on the Gemara. Derech B’Yam HaTalmud presents a guided approach to aid in the learning and teaching of Gemara B’Iyun. It offers a live daily iyun shiur in Ramat Beit Shemesh, and written and electronic materials for learning and teaching.